Old 12-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Pumpkins again

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
It my first time growing pumpkins and I could do with some advice. I need

know when to pick the pumpkins. The leaves have been looking unhealthy for

couple of weeks now but the pumpkins are still very much green ( they are

an
orange variety). If I picked them whilst green would they turn orange in
storage?

Pick them before the first frost and don't take any chances. Don't worry
about dying foliage.
Yes they will ripen in storage (but not as well) if kept cool (but above
freezing), dry and in the light.

Does anyone know the date and time of the pumpkin competition near

Salisbury? I
fancy popping along to pick up some tips for next year.

Sue says it's normally the last Saturday in September around 4pm at the Boot
Inn (nice Pub) at Berwick St.James. If you ring them they will confirm dates
and times.
See you there (mini URG meet?), we go every year, it's quite a laugh and you
do learn some tips if you ask before they all get drunk :-) Found myself
talking to the British record holder on one occasion. Plants his seed on
Christmas morning as does the young lad that grew one of 440lbs a couple of
years ago.

Bob.