Old 13-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Warren

Default Wood Mulch, how does it know???

TOM KAN PA wrote:
You remember the anecdote about the thermos, you put a hot liquid in

it, it
keeps it hot, put in a cold liquid, it keeps it cold. HOW DOES IT KNOW

WHAT TO
DO????
Wood mulch, it *keeps weeds from growing*. So you spread the

recommended 3-4
inches to keep the weeds down, but any perennial under the mulch will

return.
HOW DOES IT KNOW WHAT TO DO???

Weeds growing up from under the mulch can grow just as the perennials
can grow, more or less (depending on the type of mulch, the plants in
question, and a myriad of other variables). In some cases you'll need to
pull away some mulch in spring or else some perennials won't come up. In
other cases weeds may come up despite heavy mulch. You are right. The
mulch doesn't know what it's supposed to stop, and what it's supposed to
let come up.

As for weed control, what the mulch does is keep weed seeds away from
the soil. Those that do germinate will germinate in the loose mulch, and
thus be easier to pull.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.