Old 13-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Trish Brown

Default New Vegie Garden advice required

Tony wrote:

Hello all
My wench wants me to build a vegie garden this weekend, but she is concerned
that treated timber will contain poisonous chemicals. I need to raise the
vegie beds, so any suggestions on what to use.
Thank you.

If only I didn't have a Dog That Digs, I'd be doing this too! My preferred
material would be a double layer of old railway sleepers (ie old and
well-weathered), because they're a good height to sit upon as you weed. However,
being that old railway sleepers are getting scarce and new ones are *green* with
nasty copper salts and cost a bomb, I'd go for el cheapo solutions. The best
I've seen is corrugated iron sheets cut into strips and kept upright with star
posts cut to size. That's a lot of cutting, I know, but I s'pose the elbow
grease is what makes this solution a cheap one!

Maybe a trip to a demolition site or a rummage around someone's back paddock
might bring up some old timber or iron sheets you could use? Whatever you decide
on can be disquised by growing small creeping plants alongside (eg. native
violets or thyme or mint ... etc...)

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

PS. I saw a program once that showed individual veggie plants being grown inside
old tyres!