Old 13-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Any "trick" questions to ask at garden center...

"Phrederik" wrote in

Can anyone suggest some simple questions to ask at a garden center to
really see if the person you are talking to knows what they are doing?

I'm tired of asking questions and getting the answer that helps make
the biggest sale.

I also don't want to nag all of you with all of my questions,
especially when the answers would be more relevant for my yard when
asked locally.

Thanks!

Sure, there are plenty, but you have know a little bit yourself. And after
you've learned a little bit, you'll learn more and won't need these silly
trick questions. But to start you can always ask for an out of season
plant (like a marigold), and watch the reaction. To weed out the suck ups
and greenhorns try claiming a tomato is a vegetable.

But your best bet is not to dress like a yuppie or otherwise look like you
have money coming out of your bum. It also helps if you don't look like
Gomer Pyle, but there's not much you can do about that. Mow the lawn
before you go, don't take a shower and don't use deodorant. Bring a small
notepad or wear a shirt with a plastic pocket protector in it. Periodicly
wipe your nose with a hankerchief as if your nose is mucausal from working
with dusty soil all day.

-- S

Note to people who work at garden centers: Be on the look out for quasi-
geeky, smelly, sweaty guys with hankerchiefs asking for marigolds ...
$$$$$!