Old 13-09-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Wildflower seeds

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:27:58 -0700, "gregpresley"
wrote:
I took a different approach to wildflower gardening this year, by buying
individual packs of garden wildflowers that I knew, or suspected, would do
well here in the inland Northwest, and were capable of long blooming
seasons. I had some winners and losers.
In late March or early April, I sowed shirley poppies, opium poppies,
california poppies, linaria, baby blue eyes, foam flower, red and blue flax
larkspur and bachelor buttons, dame's rocket, sweet alyssum, godetia,
chinese forget-me-nots, and russell hybrid lupines. In late April or early
May I sowed cosmos, four o-clocks, and lavatera, black-eyed susans, annual
phlox, scarlet runner beans, and morning glories.
snip

I followed a similar approach and it worked pretty good for the most
part. It was a bit slow starting up -- I did plant more late season
bloomers -- but its looking great now. I'll have to pay more
attention to early bloomers. Allysums are nice, but they're a bit
small to carry the show.

In addition to individual seed packs, I did get a couple of packs of
wildflower seed mixes. That worked to randomize my collection a bit,
but I was unfamiliar with a few things that came up.

I'm going to try to collect some of the seeds for next year, and I'm
hoping for some self-seeding.

Swyck