Old 13-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Chris

Default Moringa in Austin

Hi Gae,

I won't do anything when the freeze comes. My philosophy is if it
can't survive an average Winter in Austin I don't need to be growing it.
The 3+ inches of mulch keeps the roots of most things well protected.
If we ever get another Winter like '83 & '89 I'll throw a mound of extra
mulch on the roots and hope for the best.

I was more interested in seeing them bloom than having a bushy plant.
If it survives this Winter it'll be plenty bushy next Spring.

Regards
Chris

"Gae Xavier" wrote in message ...
Chris,

It looks very healthy, if not a bit lanky. Congrats on getting it up to
that size! I am impressed.

I think you are supposed to trim the primary tip to 1-1.5 meters high to
make it less lanky and more full according to the new package of seed I
just got. I am going to try them again while it is still hot to get
germination on the bush type and the oleifera type. I only had success
with the African which have 100% germination, while the other have
90-80% or less.

What do you plan to do for the winter with that Poplar tree sized
Moringa? ;-)

I mentioned to the man at Taj Grocers that I had 3 Moringas and he said
they are very expensive and there are two different flavors of
drumsticks (pods) from two different type trees. He was bit amazed that
I had some since they do freeze here if not brought in and they are very
rare in Austin.

I also have a huge curry leaf plant too that I want to take a picture of
and a caper bush that I will put up on my URL when I get a chance.

I like unusual plants and ones that you cannot find here. I am a weird
edible plant person. I love all sorts of international cooking and like
to grow the unusual exotic (foreign) ingredients.

I can't wait to make some Sambhar soup with my Moringa pods.

I am also going to grow some some Hibiscus sabdariffa "Florida
Cranberry" for drinks and sauces, Roselle/Jamaican Sorrel, some Lablab
purpureus, 'Red Fortune' vine for the edible pods, and some Yard Long
bean mix which love hot and humid.

Best to You -- Gae

Chris wrote:

Reposted in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Chris" wrote in message
I just posted a couple of Pic's in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
showing it's size and first flower buds.

Chris in Arid Austin