Old 13-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Pam Rudd

Default Hot Pepper Oil

So, I made some hot pepper oil. I always make some out of the
habaneras. They make a lovely scarlet-tinged oil that makes it
easy to add a bit of heat and flavor to food. And it pops a mean
popcorn.

(And Pat, I autoclave my flavored oils to get around the botulism
issue)

Anyway, I used about two tablespoons of this hot oil in a pork
stir fry I made last night. Two pounds of pork, lot's o' leeks,
about a pound of snow peas, sweet red peppers, etc.

I was worried that it wouldn't be hot enough.

Oh boy was I wrong! So, maybe ten habs in two cups of oil
was a bit much, most of my other peppers haven't been quite as
hot as expected. And the Pimiento De Chieros were just to add
aroma, I didn't think they'd add a lot of heat.

Note to self: Dilute! Dilute! Dilute hot pepper oil.

....but I still pick those habs with my bare hands (Hi Nydb!)

Pam

"ElissaAnn"