Old 13-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Jim M

Default Hauling Uphill

Hi Greg,
Some useful information would be to know the relation of the lot being
cleared to the house and to the road or wherever you plan to use a hauling
out point. I do know you said no vehicle. I'm assuming you are either
thinking a traditional vehicle like a truck/car/suv, or that its very very
steep. How far in distance does the wood have to be hauled etc... If two
guys can carry a box up this incline, it can't be that steep else they would
loose their footing trying to maintain balance with the load and walk
uphill.
A year ago, my friend and I used my 4wd ATV to haul wood out of a
gulley. We had to cut the wood down in size to fit the 4 wheeler, but it
worked. They can climb some amazing stuff when you know how.
Another method would be like James Barley described.
Another method of block and tackle if its very steep is a outrigger or
boom. At the top of your hill put in a 8 x8 post and rig up a boom to it
with a block and tackle. Then using ropes you can hoist the load up and
swing it over at the top. This would be for a very sheer incline though.

"Greg" wrote in message
om...
Hi. We'll be cutting down trees, removing overgrown brush, etc. from
about 4000 sq. ft. of our downsloping lot. I've rented a large green
waste container, but can anyone suggest an efficient, cost-effective
way to get the stuff we cut uphill to the container at street level.
It's not possible to get any type of vehicle behind our house.

Right now, we're just thinking of putting as much as we can in either
boxes or heavy duty plastic bags, and having two people carry one of
these up, then repeat (and repeat...) I'll have two other guys
helping me. Thanks for any help.