Old 14-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Edward Roberts

Default Pepper problem: No heat!

I put in 3 jalapeno plants this year which came out very tasty and
plenty hot. I have to say that watering them too much does not dilute
the taste cause I'm growing in a hydroponic system and I run my pumps
24/7. The chiles are still on the plants and are ripening to a deep
red.

It's the membrane inside where the seeds are attached that give the
pepper heat, not the seeds and not the skin. I think you may have
picked up some milder version of jalapeno, or maybe just bad seed with
no good genes.

For a real tasty wonderfully hot variety maybe you could try "Fresno"
chiles. When they ripen a beautiful red they are one of the best
varieties around, but the seeds may be difficult to find.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:52:42 -0700, "Mike Cormack"
wrote:

I need some advice for next year. I grew Jalapeno, Thai, Cayenne and 1 other
hot pepper from Sarawak. None of them are spicy. They are growing fine,
ranging from 16" to 24" tall with plenty of fruit. I grow them in raised
beds, use alpaca poop fertilizer, consistently water them.

It's too late for this year. I want to investigate and prepare for next
year. I don't know what I did wrong, but my assumption is the soil is
broken. Either missing some nutrient, maybe the Ph is incorrect or something
else? I'd appreciate any advice on how/what to investigate. Any pointers to
good website on how to grow peppers?

thanks,
Mike
Portland, OR