Old 14-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Jan Flora

Default Cirtique this plan, please.

In article ,
(William Orth) wrote:

"SugarChile" wrote in message

It sounds good to me....I'm envious of access to all that spoiled hay.

I don't think anyone in our neighborhood had a successful first hay
cutting this year. Our spring was very wet!

That's awful for the hay farmers, but a boon for the gardeners.

I can find no fault with your idea to unroll round bales on your garden.
We use spoiled hay on our garden all the time, and despite our cool climate
and short summers, it really adds to the soil fertility. (I'm in Alaska.)

If you can get some fresh manure (cow, horse, whatever) and compost some
of that hay, you'll be a rich man : ) (I sell composted cow shit and hay for
$100/pickup load and I'm probably not charging enough. My own garden looks
like it's on steroids, just from top-dressing composted cow shit on it. I
started
new beds this summer. The neighbors are all embarassed that their gardens
aren't doing as well, so I told them to go get some pickup loads of the compost
[for free]. Free publicity. My girlfriends are all ratchet-mouths.)

Anyway, yeah, unroll the rounds onto your poor garden area. Everywhere we
leave a square bale sit for awhile, then pick it up, there are earthworms up the
wazoo underneath the bale.

If that farmer is giving you those bales and delivering them, make sure you do
something nice for him. Fresh baked bread, cookies, the occasional jug of good
wine or bourbon, etc. (Republicans drink Scotch; Democrats drink whiskey,
as a rule. It's a weird rule, but it seems to hold true.)

Best wishes,

Jan