Old 14-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Peter H

Default Too late from Grub control?

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message

While I'm not an entomologist, I'm not sure a cranefly qualifies as a
grub. The term grub is generally used to describe the larvae of
beetles, eg june bugs, japanese beetles, not flies. These are the
larvae that are causing the majority of the problems in lawns in most
of the US.

Here's a good link to an agricultural article describing grubs, their
lifecycle and affect on turf:

http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/...cts/97-023.htm

Note that the larvae description of being C shaped, 6 legs, etc. also
does not fit the cranefly larvae. They indicate that all the grubs
they describe go deep in the soil as the temps drop, then return to
feed as temps rise again in spring.

well, I am an entomologist

I find that very hard to believe.

Peter H