Old 14-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Bob Adkins

Default What kind of turtle is this?

On 12 Sep 2003 00:41:30 -0700, (kristian) wrote:

http://www.ourdogs.com/pics/turtleanduck.jpg

Pic is from pond in back of my house, I'd guess the length of the
shell is about 8"-10" sometimes there are up to 3 on the log.
I don't know anything about turtles and wondered what kind of turtles
they are.

Could be several types of sliders, cooters, red ear, and many local
variants. They're genetically very close to being the same turtle, but they
have local names based mostly on their markings. Down here in LA, we have
mostly the red ear turtle, but some variants have no red ears. I suspect all
these turtles could interbreed. Ask a local fisherman, and he will tell you
the local name for your friends.

Bob