Old 14-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Andrew Ostrander

Default Artificial Lighting Question

I don't think a double bank would be adequate, but a ceiling covered with
fluorescents would be enough for some plants at some stages of their growth.
It would be prohibitively expensive for commercial greenhouses to do that;
sunlight is free.

Andrew

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
That's a first to me. If I have a double bank of flourescent ceiling
lights and my plant is 5-8 feet away from them, all I need to do is
setup a reflectors and my plants will be happy? Never heard people
could grow any plant they want in ordinary room lighting before.
Wonder why professional nurseries everywhere don't do that.

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote:

The idea that plants have to be so near the light source is rather
misguided. While it is certainly true if the light comes from one single
source point, it is less true when the light comes from a stretched out
source like the fluorescents, and is even less true if there is a bank of
side-by-side fluorescents, and even less true again if the light that

would
escape out the sides is reflected back to the plants. With good side
reflection the light is almost equally bright everywhere, regardless of
distance from the lamp.
"Beecrofter" wrote in message
. com...
"rapdor" wrote in message

Hi folks, We are renovating our sunroom room which is 2m x 5m

(6' x
16') with full afternoon sun on the long side. Australian climate,

similar
to Florida. My question is, would it be beneficial to include (say)

2 x
1.2m (4') fluoro fixtures in the ceiling with Grolux-type tubes, or

would it
be pointless? Thanks for any replies.

Pretty pointless as plants need to be within inches of the tube to

benefit.
Might be good so you can see at night !

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener