Old 14-09-2003, 05:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Pepper problem: No heat!

Edward Roberts wrote:

I put in 3 jalapeno plants this year which came out very tasty and
plenty hot. I have to say that watering them too much does not dilute
the taste cause I'm growing in a hydroponic system and I run my pumps
24/7. The chiles are still on the plants and are ripening to a deep
red.

Well I've got to assume that hydroponics isn't simply sticking a plant
in a jar of water, so I would say there is a significant difference
between overwatering a plant which can increase likelyhood of molds,
disease and be inappropriate medium for some plants and running your
pump 24/7.

Overly wet soil can reduce the amount of air available for the root to
breath. It can also flush out nutrients. A plant that experiences the
stress of a drought is going to undergo something slightly different
than one with abundant water. That is where the difference likely is.
I believe it affects many things in ways science simply hasn't
bothered to explore appropriately. An interesting example is a friend
who is raises honey bees. One year the honey came out incredibly light
colored and better tasting than previous years/or since. That year had
a big drought during the spring and summer. Since the hives had been
there for years nothing around had significantly changed. I think the
stress on the plants caused changes in the nectar gathered by the bees
and showed up in the resultant honey. WHie there are always unseen
factors and many changing variables, it would make sense that watering
is going to affect fruit production in size, flavor and other factors.

It's the membrane inside where the seeds are attached that give the
pepper heat, not the seeds and not the skin. I think you may have
picked up some milder version of jalapeno, or maybe just bad seed with
no good genes.

For a real tasty wonderfully hot variety maybe you could try "Fresno"
chiles. When they ripen a beautiful red they are one of the best
varieties around, but the seeds may be difficult to find.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:52:42 -0700, "Mike Cormack"
wrote:

I need some advice for next year. I grew Jalapeno, Thai, Cayenne and 1 other
hot pepper from Sarawak. None of them are spicy. They are growing fine,
ranging from 16" to 24" tall with plenty of fruit. I grow them in raised
beds, use alpaca poop fertilizer, consistently water them.

It's too late for this year. I want to investigate and prepare for next
year. I don't know what I did wrong, but my assumption is the soil is
broken. Either missing some nutrient, maybe the Ph is incorrect or something
else? I'd appreciate any advice on how/what to investigate. Any pointers to
good website on how to grow peppers?

thanks,
Mike
Portland, OR