Old 14-09-2003, 10:24 PM
keith

Default potting mixtures

i have a den,catt, phal.were are the potting materials purchased from any
suggestions? i live in england ,uk.i dont know of any local suppliers,i will
purchase a variety of material & mix for each orchid as suggested!When i
find a supplier.
thanks keith

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
news
What you pot in depends on what kinds of orchids you are growing as well
as
your weather/growing conditions. We use different mixes for different

kinds
of plants. For catts & dens, it's 2 parts lava rock, 1 part charcoal, 1
part coconut husk ships. For oncidiums, it's 2 parts coconut, 1 part

lava,
1 part charcoal. And for phals, we mix sphagnum moss and bark, 50/50. We
use no medium at all for most of our vandaceous plants. There are also

some
plants that we find grow much better mounted than potted.

If you give us some more info, you'll probably get lots of suggestions.

At
present, all I can say definitively is that no, BBQ charcoal is not going

be appropriate in any mixture.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"keith" wrote in message
any advise on potting mixtures,I have read in the RHS encyclopedia use 3
parts bark chippings,1 pt perlite,1 pt fine charcoal.Can the charcoal be
ordinary barbeque charcoal washed,can the bark chippings be the sort you

get
from garden centres (for mulching)or does it have to be sterilized?
thanks keith