Old 14-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Heidi

Default Favorite ground cover for shade

the one I want to try is sweet box (Sarcococca hookeriana humilis), except I
can't find a source.

I wonder if you contacted Monrovia, if they would be able to tell you the closest nursery to you that carried sweetbox?

Heidi

Rachel wrote:

"Kim" wrote in message
ia.net...

I live in Ohio and have several shaded areas where I would like to put
in ground cover and I just wanted to make sure I've thought of them all.
So far I have English Ivy and Periwinkle. The ivy is great, and the
periwinkle is beautiful, but it is very prone to fungus from moisture -
and the shade doesn't help dry up that!

So what are your suggestions?

In West Virginia, zone 6b, we have

Sweet woodruff on the mostly shady east side of the house
Native wild ginger on the very shady north side
Blue star creeper in the back (east) where it gets shade, dappled sun
and 2-4 hours full sun
Creeping thyme between and around the shale stone walk, also on the
shady north side

Those all seem to be doing well, beginning to expand as ground covers.
The one I really want to see take off is partridgeberry (Mitchella repens),
which I put in as a ground cover under trees along the front of the lot. The
individual dozen plants are doing OK, but it grows very, very slowly. And
the one I want to try is sweet box (Sarcococca hookeriana humilis), except I
can't find a source. I have an area prepared for it, by the walk, between
the lilac plantings and the house.