Old 14-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Bob Hobden

Default I enjoyed this nice hot summer - Is it me? Back to the garden at last - Is it me?

"Mich" wrote in message ...
..
was down there at Marazion in '76 and it was certainly hot there then.

Ah! '76 was very hot, I remember it well. I was still at school in those
days and spent the summer on Plymouth Hoe sun bathing and playing tennis!

Well here it's been almost as hot (some days hotter) for certainly as long
this year too.

As for the allotments, peas gave up completely, Runner Beans also didn't
like the heat but are now flowering well, spuds grew well but still a

lot
of
slug damage on some despite using Nemaslug. Best carrots ever (Long Red
Surrey), Tomatoes doing well too, brassicas growing well although
caterpillars are rife this year. So it's some wins and some losses.

Err I havent had any of those problems g.
A few problems with tomatoes not having erratic sunshine Cucumbers coming
off four a time.
Beans running riot.
Strawberries did have a poor start , but improved.

Apples haven't been good
Onions haven't done well at all, had to give up on those.

Got good onions as normal if a little smaller than usual. Been a constant
battle to keep the strawberries alive (I grow them on humps) with watering.
As I said, just kept the beans alive and they are now flowering well. Swedes
(your turnips?) hardly grown. It's been the dryest summer I've ever known
after a very dry spring.

I must admit when I drove around down there last week, we stayed on Exmoor,
Weddon Cross, for two days and then stayed with friends near Camelford for
the remainder, the grass was very green not light brown and dead as it is
around here.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.