Old 15-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Jan Flora

Default Cirtique this plan, please.

In article , Pat Meadows
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:26:47 -0800, (Jan
Flora) wrote:

Hey, how much frost can glads stand?

Can't help: never grew them.

Boy are they pretty, when they bloom!

Mine are within days of blooming and
we're starting to have hard frost at night. We covered the glads last night
with a visqueen tent, which the wind ripped off. The plants are a

little wilty
today (not bad), but I'm wondering if they'll make it to bloom. My SO (a
homegrown Alaskan) has never seen a gladiola in bloom. (He also thinks apples
come from the grocery store, so I planted a couple of trees.)

Good luck with the apples! (And the glads, but the apples
are more important, I think.)

Pat

Even if I have to build tiny shelters over the apple trees to get them to set
blooms, I'll do it. I'm a transplanted Californian, living in Alaska. I
also want
roses. *sigh* OTOH, I'm amazed at what will grow up here that won't grow
down in the small states.

There's a woman across the bay from me who grew up in Oregon. She's got
about 20 semi-dwarf apple trees inside a *giant* quonset hut greenhouse,
because she wants apple trees. She told me that she put 42 apple pies down
in the freezer last year : )

Jan