Old 15-09-2003, 03:02 AM
dkat

Default Sawdust as mulch

I would mix the sawdust with leaves and lawn clipping and then wet it down.
This will "loosen" up the mix so that it decomposes better than if you just
lay it down by itself where it will be a dense mat . The absolute best
places in my yard are where I put my leaves in the fall (all under my trees
in the shade garden area). The ground feels like a super padded carpet and
I can literally run my fingers through the soil. I put my kitty litter
which is made of compressed pine sawdust under my shrubs where it won't be
something that I (or someone else) ends up digging in. So far that has
worked fine by itself but I do worry about it not composting as it should
and it does not keep down the weeds as well as the leaves and deep wood
chips. DKat

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"AnonnyMoose" wrote in news:vm75bvlpkr2qd8
@corp.supernews.com:

My husband needs sawdust for a building project and will have a lot left
over. Is sawdust suitable to use for a mulch to keep weeds down under
quaking aspen?

Karen

Won't the sawdust be apt to blow away? I would think you'd need a pretty
thick pile to inhibit weeds from pushing through from below. I'd also be
concerned about insects and nitrogen leeching, but I really don't know
anything.

- S