Old 15-09-2003, 03:32 AM
len

Default Hot Pepper Oil

"Pam Rudd" wrote in message
When last we left our heros, on Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:15:17 -0400,
"len" scribbled:

yup I scribble, my clerical skills are not good and I am proud of it.

Geez, I wished I had access to an autoclave. I guess it is a steam
autoclave?

Steam and pressure. It's a nifty new one that I got when my lab
moved to a new building. It might seem a bit extreme to autoclave
the flavored oils, but, than botulism *is* a bit extreme, so I
think it's important to be safe.

that's cool

.. I pick our habaneros bare handed, but I don't break the skin
without gloves. I learned this from personal experiance, ouch. Len

Heh, well, yeah.

It was a joke from a few months back. I pick all my peppers with
my bare hands. I use my thumbnail to cut the stem; except for the
chocolate cherry peppers, their stem is too thick.

I'm trying a new popper recipe tonight. New in that the method
for getting the breading to stick is new. I'm just using Colby
Jack cheese with a bit of onion and basil for stuffing.

Pam

You know, this year is the first, we have grown habaneros. We have used them
in the past for chiles, etc. We started in January, transaplanted in May;
had a cold summer. Yet these bad boy's are hot. What I have done is cut them
in 3rds( removing the seeds) then having some melon, and tomatoes, covered
in bleu cheese + chicken and rice. First, you take a bite of the pepper,
then the melons and cheese. Then the chicken and rice, repeat with the
second piece.; Toss, the last third in the garbage. Len