Old 15-09-2003, 03:42 AM
dkat

Default Wood Mulch, how does it know???

Some seeds need sunlight to germinate (grass for example) so if they are
covered or fall through the mulch they lay there til they rot. It is often
recommended that you pull mulch away from the root crowns of trees and
shrubs so that they don't rot or insects and mice don't do damage. Shade
perennials and many bulbs evolved to come up through a layer of leaves
(mulch) and are not damaged by the decaying leaves or the lack of light once
established (coming out of dormancy whether they reach the light through
inches of soil or inches of soil and mulch doesn't matter). Also as they
push their way up they are pushing the leaves away from the base of the
plant. Every year I gather all the leaves I can from the street and throw
them into my shade area. I never worry about any shade perennial coming up.
I on occasion will pull a leaf off of a hosta leaf that it is deforming.
DKat

"Warren" wrote in message news:2os8b.230617

mulch doesn't know what it's supposed to stop, and what it's supposed to
let come up.

As for weed control, what the mulch does is keep weed seeds away from
the soil. Those that do germinate will germinate in the loose mulch, and
thus be easier to pull.

--
Warren H.