Old 15-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Peter Goddard

Default pressure treated timber and raised beds

"Mike Tickle" wrote snip
I have grown my lettuce and carrots in a home made wooden box
constructed from pressure treated timber which I have painted green

(garden
fence paint snip Mike

I have five raised beds 12ft x 4ft x 1ft, all made from reclaimed
floorboards, which were sanded back to a good finish. My plot is near the
top of a hill in South Wales but a spring makes the ground boggy for most of
the year and the drainage is surprisingly poor. With thin soil on a bed of
clay I needed a good depth in the raised beds to stop the plants from
drowning! The timbers are treated with cheapo B&Q Tudar Oak fence treatment
and show little sign of deterioration at the end of their third season
(despite sitting on a bog for most of the year).