Old 15-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default I enjoyed this nice hot summer - Is it me? Back to the garden at last - Is it me?

In article ,
(Helen) writes:
| Jeff, yes I agree. Each season is blessed with good things. And now
| for a bit of personal indulgence. I will tell you the things I love
| about each season.
| Spring - Trees coming into leaf, bird song, the smell from the first
| lawn mowing.

Lawn mowing? It didn't stop raining until spring was nominally
almost over. And much the same occurred in the two previous years.
I saw one person who started mowing "on schedule" and it looked
a bit like an ineffectual attempt to rotovate his lawn!

| Summer - long days, beautiful gardens, trees clothed in their best,
| the smells of a summer evening.

This year, agreed. Not last year, though. Wet and cold :-(

| Autumn - dew on cobwebs, mist, the smell of a misty morning early, the
| trees changing colour, autumn fruits in the hedgerows.

Trees changing colour? They need frost to do that! For the past
few years, their leaves have rotted off before changing colour, due
to the wet ....

| Winter - frosty mornings, snow - lots of it (pleeease God), blue
| winter skies.

Er, where DO you live? I haven't seen a cold winter in a decade,
nor any snow worth a damn. There were a couple of short snaps last
year, but nothing to get excited about.

| Indulgence over. :-)

The prospect of 4 months of near-continual wet, the sort of cold
that gets to your bones, and continual darkness is too horrible to
contemplate it. Unfortunately, I can't avoid it :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.