Old 15-09-2003, 11:22 AM
pb0094

Default using sump water for lawn irrigation

Okay, same question, different scenario:
We live in an rural and arid region and are on septic. We would like
to irrigate with some of the wastewater from our studio (the part that
isn't contaminated with chemicals from our processes - it's easy for
us to separate). Andy's solution for his sump water is what I was
thinking for this purpose. So what kind of container should be used
for holding the water? Above or under ground? What about a pond, so
the wildlife could benefit as well? Can a sump pump somehow be used
to pressurize a drip irrigation system?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pamela

"donald girod" wrote in message ...
In dry weather, when the grass needs water, the sump pump will not deliver a
significant amount of irrigation. Two times a day translates to maybe 20
gallons of water, equivlent to watering with a sprinkler for 5 minutes or
less. So this would be a lot of trouble to go to to achieve a negligible
benefit. You need about 1500 gallons to water the front yard thoroughly
(assuming 50x50). A large storage tank for the sumpwater would work, but
this seems impractical.

What most people do with sumpwater is drain it toward the street where it
can flow into a storm drain. This requires a trench about a foot deep (or
more) and some pvc, and then a "bubbler" at the end so that the water can
come up to the surface. Generally you put the end in a gravel-filled hole
(dry well) so that the pvc can drain completely and not freeze up.

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of using the sump water to water my lawn. I live in a
heavy clay and wet area, so the sump goes off very frequently.
Depending on the weather, it can be every few minutes while it's
raining to couple times a day. It has been a dry summer here in
Michigan. The sump pump now dumps into one spot in the backyard. It's
usually enough water to keep one area so soggy that grass rots there
and I cannot walk there. I am thinking of redirecting that water to
the front yard maybe with some kind of in-ground container (like the
sump well) and a second pump. The problem is how do I distribute the
water evenly throughout the yard, or at least to a large enough area
so it's useful and not just create a soggy spot? I'd like to not make
it permanent and not too complicated if possible (ie, money and
energy). Thanks.

Andy