Old 15-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Victoria Clare

Default O/T just a thought

(Andy Spragg) wrote in news:3f634bd1.213955659
@news.global.net.uk:

Someone else in this thread said that top posting was "common sense".
FWIW, I happen to agree with that, witness the fact that newbies
almost invariably do it - and in the absence of anything better to go
on, people are going to go on common sense.

Back in the day (? 1996 ?), it used to be regularly said in this kind of
thread that:

People who start their usenet life top-posting are people whose newsreaders
automatically put the cursor at the top - usually Outlook Express users.

Personally, my first newsreader (free agent) put the cursor at the bottom,
so I was never tempted.

I don't think I've seen that statement posted for several years now, so I'm
starting a retro revival ;-)

My own greatest dislike is for posters who add a couple of lines to the
very bottom of a vast quoted message. My current newsreader (Xnews) not
only sticks the cursor at the bottom, but complains if you post something
that is more than 60% quote. That seems like a good idea to me.

Just in case anyone cares, here's a vote for snippage.

Victoria
--
Clare Associates Ltd
http://www.clareassoc.co.uk/