Old 15-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Christopher Norton

Default digging up one metre high japanese maple

How long do you have to do this? If you have time on your hands then you
can minimise the stress to the tree VERY easily.

If you could wait untill collection in 2005 then this is what I would do.

In April dig a trench about a metre around the outside of the tree. Cut
all the roots back to there. Also if you can dig low enough go for the
taproot IF it has one (chances are that a nice pot born on is unlikely
to have a good one on it). Then put all the soil back.

Following year, do the same but transplant.

By doing this, you`ve allowed the tree to get rid of it`s main root
systems in favour of smaller feeder roots which wont be too developed in
the second year making it easier and less stressfull to move.

I have successfully achieved a 40 year old pine tree with this method
from a interesting rock face (such things are rare in lincs) for Bonsai.
And yes it was in an exposed windy place with very little nutrient. Was
only about 2 ft high. Unbeliable luck even finding it.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use