Old 15-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Jonathan Ward

Default Raspberry problem.

In article ,
says...

In article , Dwayne
writes
I have never had raspberries, but I know that blackberries musts have the
bearing canes cut off when done bearing. Then the new canes will bear the
following year. When you cut them off, destroy them preferably by burning.
They could contain harmful pests and diseases.

Some raspberry growers say they cut them to the ground after they finish
harvesting the fruit, but that idea kind of scares me. Maybe it is a
different kind of raspberries.

Yes, that is the correct way to treat raspberries Dwayne. By the time
the canes which have borne fruit are ready to cut out, new canes should
have appeared which should be left in to produce next year's fruit. It
may be as well to restrict the new canes to 5 or 6 if there are a lot of
them, or some new canes be taken as side-shoots if additional bushes are
required. The same applies to autumn fruiting raspberries, though
sometimes they may be left until the following spring to be pruned.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Autumn-fruiting rasberries fruit on that year's growth unlike the summer
varieties, which fruit on the previous year's growth. All the stems on the
autumn fruiting varieties can be cut to the ground over the winter.
--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying