Old 15-09-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default Fertilizer

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:11:23 -0600, Grandpa opined:

Is there any advantage to adding fertilizer, like steer manure or ???,
not the commercial pellet stuff, when I pull out all the dead/dying
flowers & veggies etc & turn the soil this fall or is it best to wait
until spring?

I've started cleaning up my gardens and I do pull the annuals out of the ground.
When I cut back grasses or anything which won't cause an invasive situation, I
lay them on top of the mulch and leave them there.

When I make compost I make rounds in the neighborhood and get bags of leaves. I
add my fresh plant material into that, inoculate that with finished compost and
it gets hot almost immediately. After a few weeks of turning it, I top dress
the soil with the partially finished compost.

It's never been a disadvantage to me.