Old 15-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Tim Challenger

Default Raspberry problem.

Autumn-fruiting rasberries fruit on that year's growth unlike the summer
varieties, which fruit on the previous year's growth. All the stems on the
autumn fruiting varieties can be cut to the ground over the winter.

I have a similar question:
I inherited a few autumn fruiting raspberry "twigs" last year with the new
house. They are a yellow variety(Autumn Bliss?). Anyway, they were pretty
weedy things and I cut them all back to the ground last autumn. This year
they have produced really good shoots - around 1.5m long or more, but only
a few of which have produced fruit (and those that did produced a good
number, and loads more than last year's poor crop).

So should I still cut all the growth down this year - even those shoots
that didn't fruit - or should I leave some standing? Any ideas?
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.