Old 15-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Tim Challenger

Default digging up one metre high japanese maple

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:25:00 +0100, john west++++ wrote:

hi, have a one metre high japanese maple, what are my chances of digging it
up and keeping it alive please?
many thanks john west

I did this early this year, as the first leaf buds were unfolding - I know,
not the traditionally best time for it. I just dug it up. My tree was
around 4-5' high and I dug it up with around 18" diameter of earth around
it - most of which had fallen off by the time I'd got it to the other side
of the garden and I planted it with almost bare roots. I had to cut through
a fair few roots but it survived my mishandling and is now thriving in the
new spot.

I think they're a lot tougher than a lot of people think. Anyway if you do
it when it's dormant I don't suppose you'll have any trouble at all.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.