Old 15-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Home winemaking and campden tablets

In article , Jaques d'Altrades writes:
| The message
| from "Druss" contains these words:
|
| Nobody seems to want to mention that the Sodium Metabisulphite stuff can
| bring on asthma attacks, and is nasty stuff to use if you suffer arny
| breathing difficulties, make sure you're in a well ventilated area would be
| my advice.
|
| No danger from inhalation - all the sulphur dioxide is bound up in the
| salt, and only appears as ions in the wine in any case.

I am sorry, but that isn't true. His advice is good. The reason is
that a small amount of sulphur oxides is released during use, and
even that small amount can cause trouble. I certainly had difficulty
using the stuff, and my breathing is worse now (not asthma). Yes, it
really did cause enough damage to take me a day to recover fully.

| Still, these ions can cause all sorts of problems if you are susceptible.

That is the other problem he was referring to. Not my problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.