Old 15-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] "yamadori" boxwood

Kitsune Miko wrote:

snip

I did something on this for Bonsai Today On Line.

Yama means picked, dori means mountain. Since there are no plants left in
the mountains usage of the word changed to mean collected from the
wild. This is a usage known only in bonsai circles. So anything ever
cultivated even allowed to grow wild is not yamadori by the experts even
today. Yamadori now seems to mean styled by nature.

snip

Kitsune Miko

At the risk of contradicting someone who uses a Japanese name as a pseudonym ;0}, I
am quite sure that it is the other way around--this I got from two native
Japanese. "Yama" means "mountain." "Dori" is from the Japanese verb "to take."

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++