Old 15-09-2003, 05:02 PM
paghat

Default Favorite ground cover for shade

In article ,
(Sed5555) wrote:

I live in Ohio and have several shaded areas where I would like to put
in ground cover and I just wanted to make sure I've thought of them all.
So far I have English Ivy and Periwinkle.

Other groundcovers for shady areas include carpet bugle, mock strawberry,
plumbago, sweet woodruff, woodbine, wintercreeper euonymous and dead nettle
(lamium 'White Nancy' is my favorite).
sed5555

I think of that list lamium is often very nice, but the white-flowering
lamium loses much of its flower presence because white flowers amidst
white & green leaves doesn't show the flowers to any advantage. There are
varieties with pink, dark pink, or with pale violet flowers that are more
striking. It's a good groundcover to plant around die-back shade
perennials such as pulmanarias or hostas or trilliums so that when the
"main" stuff is late in the year, there'll be some very pleasant lamium
instead of bare spots lingering through winter but without interferring
with the main perennials' spring return.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/