Old 15-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Ron

Default Blackfly

Group,

Some while ago there was much posted about blackfly and what was termed an
old wives' tale concerning ants. There were even people who professed to
have studied blackfly and ants enough to be able to refute the old wives'
tale.

But enough of ants, what about wasps?

Much has been posted lately about wasps and some have said they should be
exterminated.

But hold on, yesterday evening whilst watering my runner beans I witnessed
something which might make some think twice in wasps' extermination. A wasp
was "doing the rounds" of my runner beans so I stopped watering and watched.
The jasper (Cornish name for a wasp) buzzed from leaf to leaf to plant to
flower to . . . obviously looking for something. Eventually it found a
blackfly siezed it and flew off. No wonder my beans have so few blackfly.
I could not understand why they didn't but now I know!

Oh! Sir Jasper: do not kill him!

Regards

Ron