Old 15-09-2003, 10:02 PM
dstvns

Default I've given up on growing a pumpkin!

On 06 Sep 2003 13:52:54 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Every pumpkin I got this year turned white and mushy in various stages of
growth. From one as big as a basket ball down to one the size of a soft ball. I
know they need water, but I guess they got too much this year.

My acorn squash did the same thing. I was looking forward to huge
amounts of acron squash, since it's my favorite. It's not normal to
have so many rot (nearly a dozen). The rainfall and massive lack of
sunlight was too much for them. The vines & leaves actually wilted
and DIED when the sun finally came out, it was too intense for them.
They require copious amounts of sunlight. Keeping them off the ground
is also a requirement to keep them from rotting. Put a flat stone
underneath each of them next year.

In better news, the spaghetti squash and butternut squash were all
very nice, except for a few rodent scratches on the butternuts.

Dan