Old 15-09-2003, 10:33 PM
pronoun

Default WelchiaWorm

"fmurl" wrote in message
"pronoun" wrote:

Not your gardening variety! Sorry if this is a bit OT, but my new

machine
XP Home (not this one 98SE) caught the worm during it's first ever

session
online yesterday while updating the Anti Virus Software, and with the
Firewall activated (ICF). I did not have time to Update XP. I pulled

the
plug when Norton found the worm--downloaded a removal tool from Symantec,
and now it seems ok-- but I still need to Update tonight. It's difficult

see what further precautions I could take! I've not yet used email on

that
machine.

Is this NTL by any chance?

--
fmurl

If you mean my ISP it's Plusnet. No emails have been downloaded on the
infected machine--the worm gets in through a vulnerable port. As the
supplied firewall ICF was unable to prevent it: I will install Zone Alarm
before downloading the patches and updates that XP informs me are necessary.
Thank you for your support.