Old 15-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Pat Meadows

Default When to harvest pumkins..

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:11:56 GMT, (dstvns)
wrote:

I picked them when it was dry out for a fairly long period of time (48
hours) and when they turn solid orange with very little green
remaining.

Gee. We've scarcely had 48 hours without rain since the
beginning of May! What a year!

ome of them last until March and are very flavorful as
long as they're kept in cool, dry conditions. Mine usually turn
orange around mid-late August but that's because I start with
seedlings which were started indoors around mid-April. These are the
"triple-treat" variety, only about 10 inches wide but there's a lot of
them (over a dozen for 150 sq feet). A few of them rotted this year
but that's to be expected with 20 inches of rain in the past 3 months.

We're in north-central PA, and I don't know how much rain
we've had in the past 3 months, but it's a LOT. And spring
was just terrible, we had one stretch of more than SIX WEEKS
without a sunny day.

It's pouring at the moment (remnants of Tropical Storm
Henri, I believe), and is expected to rain tomorrow and
Thursday, then Friday Hurricane Isabel will be here (unless
it changes course). I hope it changes course, I expect
there will be fairly major flooding here (and other areas)
if it doesn't.

Pat