Old 15-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Wayne Parrott

Default RR Soy works better in rRomania than in USA

Now that's really twisted logic...! :-)

Are you trying to tell me that using GM crops *reduces* the use of
chemicals. In fact, the opposite is the case. Otherwise why would the
UK have increased by 200 times the residue of glyphosate allowed on
soya?

regards
Marcus

Clearly, the use of glyphosate on soybean has increased. However,
herbicides have been used on soybean for decades. The use of those
herbicides that were used prior to the advent of RR soybean has
plummeted. In the case of soybean, the substitution of one herbicide
for another has resulted in a net wash, or close to it, in the amount of
chemicals used. Nevertheless, the switch to glyphosate has made
soybean production "greener" by promoting no-till agriculture, which
uses less fossil fuels and results in less soil erosion.

The real reductions in chemical use have come from the insect-resistant
crops, such as cotton.

For the record, I receive no money from anyone to sponsor or otherwise
defend GM crops.