Old 16-09-2003, 12:22 AM
IAN GARDNER

Default Starting a small pond.

"Pip" wrote in message
Hi all,

We are wanting to have a pond in our garden, only a small pond say 3 foot

by
4 foot, if that. It is not for keeping fish in, but it would be nice to
have either toad or frog spawn and to grow some plants in etc etc. There
will be no running water feature - just still water.

I realise that there is alot of advice to give on this subject so any
advice, or any website that you may know of that would help us, would be
much appreciated.

You have two choises..
First you could have a conventional pond with the right ballence of surface
area and plants.
Second you could have loads of plants in it and it would become more like a
bog which is also totally acceptable.
Eather way, if they want to frogs and toads may come to it.
If you choose the bogversion then you may also encourage newts to come as
well.
Again, eather way, do one or the other but please do have this pond!
The wildlife needs it. Also encourage butterflys etc and birds. Get a good
book on encourageing local wildlife.

--
IAN. P. GARDNER
ISLE OF WIGHT