Old 16-09-2003, 03:50 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] "yamadori" boxwood

In a message dated 9/15/2003 2:05:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
The REAL question here, of course, is why are we English-,
French-, German-, Swahili-speaking growers of artistic small
trees in pots bothering to use the term "yamadori" when
"collected" does as well (or better) and in most cases is much
more accurate.

The same goes for "nebari" and "shohin" and a whole host of

other
look-what-I-know terms. There are legitimate and very clear
English (or other) equivalents.
And . . . then . . . why call it bonsai? );-)

Good question. Simple reasons are best, though, so. . . .
Perhaps it's because there's no good brief synonym.

Base, or roots do quite well for nebari. Small or tiny trees do
well for shohin or mame. And many other of the impressive words
we toss around have good, clear equivalents in whatever language
we use.

There isn't one for "bonsai." "Miniature/small artistic trees in
containers" is a bit long -- and contrived. If there were a
useful one- or two-word term that would do, I'd probably be a
proponent. ;-)

ANYthing to get us away from slavish imitation of Japanese trees
(and species) and to doing something that tends toward the more
original. Maybe Lenz, perhaps the only one (that I know of)
who's really trying (and sometimes successfully) to break the
mold, has a good word for our sport. (?)

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - "I am a Bear
of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother Me." Winnie-the-Pooh

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++