Old 16-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] "yamadori" boxwood

Roger Snipes wrote:

Many, if not all, endeavors, hobbies, professions, etc., have their own
jargon. Learning and using the jargon ensures that everyone who is a part
of the activity knows what others are talking about. Why should we resist
using the jargon of bonsai, only to replace it with common terms that may or
may not clearly describe what we are talking about. Should doctors,
engineers, football players, musicians, etc., dump the jargon of their
respective endeavors? Or, should participants in the sport of bonsai learn
and use the jargon of bonsai?

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

I don't think the question is whether the terminology is appropriate in-house, but
whether it is a good idea to have an arcane set of terms from a foreign language
that one must learn to be initiated. I feel that "root base" adequately describes
what a "nebari" is, for instance. FWIW.

Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++