Old 16-09-2003, 06:06 AM
Just Nice

Default potting mixtures

It was Reka who opined:
Could it be that the Malaysian charcoal is made from coconut husks?
That would not be the same as our charcoal in the States or Europe
and might be good for the orchids.

Genarally, Malaysian charcoal is made from mangrove hardwoods (Rhizophora
and Bruguiera species). It is extremely sterlile and last for decades. It
could be used over and over again. (Aerial)orchids grown using this medium
do not fear over-watering. It is common for us here to water our plants
twice a day.

Young/new repotted plants roots are usually carefully/lightly wrapped in
coconut husks to retain moisture. Thereafter, the charcoal medium is the
orchids' best friend.