Old 16-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Jan Flora

Default Cirtique this plan, please.

In article , Steve
wrote:

There are people who grow apples in Alaska without shelters of any kind.
You need to select the variety carefully of course. You need a hardy AND
early ripening variety. Even then, it depends on what part of Alaska
you are in. Alaska is a big state.... but you have probably noticed
that. ;-)

Steve, in the Adirondacks, where we also have to choose carefully.

Jan Flora wrote:
Even if I have to build tiny shelters over the apple trees to get them

to set
blooms, I'll do it. I'm a transplanted Californian, living in

Alaska.........
Jan

My apple rootstocks are from Canada and the scionwood is from Russia and
Finland. (Well, the varieties are anyway.)

There was a big feature article in yesterday's Anchorage Daily News about
an old guy in Anchorage who has ~150 apple trees. He sets up a roadside stand
and sells apples this time of year. I've got to get up there to meet him one of
these days!

Jan