Old 16-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Chris Owens

Default Iris Question

JorgNS wrote:

This is the first time that I'm digging up my bearded irises to divide, and I
noticed that some of them had little holes on on the bottom of the bulbs.
Should I dispose of these or are they okay to plant? Also, after dividing,
will I need to wait a year before I see flowers?

Check those holes and see if they come with iris borers
attached. If so, you'll need to either very carefully clean out
or discard the affected rhizomes . . . personally, I'd go for
cleaning out, but, then I have some varieties that are very, very
old; for more modern ones I'd probably just ruthlessly pitch.
Whether or not the iris will bloom next year depends on the
current size of the rhizome. Big ones will, small ones won't . .
.. so, you're likely to have REDUCED blooming next year; however,
the year after will be simply glorious!

Chris Owens