Old 16-09-2003, 05:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Fish quantities - Tank vs Pond

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:53:58 -0400, "Sam Hopkins" wrote:

Understand something though, most information you hear on pond life and
aquarium life is not scientific and is not proven - it is just myths passed
on from one person to another.

I won't dispute the not scientific, but I will that it's just myth. I think
there are a lot of experience fish keepers, breeders and showers (that's
people who show fish, not rain) out there that have wised us up.

When I was young and blissfully ignorant I had 7-8 fantails in a 20 gallon
doing water changes once a month. The fish lived, but never grew. Thank
goodness for the internet... I wised up and now I grow the big ones in a
pond. This year I have to bring 3 into a 20 gallon and another 2 to another
20 gallon. I'm hoping that water changes every 2 weeks will do it, but it
will be that nitrate number I'll be watching, among other tests. When I can
I plan to upgrade those tanks.

You can bonsai goldfish. Small space, low feed, few water changes. Is this
mean? Does the fish know, care or feel pain? I don't know, I guess it is up
to the keeper, whether they want the fish to grow or just want lots of
moving color in the tank. I wouldn't do this in a pond, too many unknowns
risking fish & water quality. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~