Old 16-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Is there a max height for garden trees ??

In article ,
Jaques d'Altrades writes:
| The message
| from "Janice" contains these words:
|
| No, as far as I know there are not yet any laws restricting height of trees.
| Are they leylandii? If so, a tree surgeon told me that you can chop down
| one-third of the height at any one time and the trees will be fine. When
| the trees have recovered in a year or so, then you can take down another
| third of the remaining height. This time of year is perfect to do it. Do
| not cut back into old wood because the tree won't grow back. If the trees
| are 30 feet high I would imagine you'd need a professional tree surgeon to
| do the work -- it's a dangerous business!!
|
| Dangerous? How far can you fall into a Leyland cypress? Just cut from
| the top down so you can't fall on any sharp bits.

Well, you can climb up a ladder and bounce off the outside, landing
with a thump or perhaps on something sharp.

You can also have the bit you cut off fall onto you like a hammer,
possibly using a branch as an anvil.

| And don't try removing the bottom third first unless you have a good
| supply of skyhooks.

A good general rule, I agree.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.