Old 16-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Suja

Default Deer Problems

KHEIKILA wrote:

I am looking for any ideas for my poor perennial garden. I would
love the name of any deer resistant plants or any ideas for
discouraging the deer from enjoying my garden other than a 6 foot
electric fence.

Only a proper physical barrier is 100% deer proof. But, you can up your
odds by planting mostly stuff the deer don't like to eat, mixing in a
few things they would eat here and there. Mostly, try to keep the deer
resistant plants to the front, and the more tasty morsels to the
back/middle. Spray the non-resistant plants with deer repellents
religiously - you'll have to experiment a bit to see what works for you.

For me, the plants the deer don't eat mostly have fairly aromatic
foliage. The list includes Monarda, Salvia, Russian Sage, Yarrow,
Japanese anemone, various ferns, Veronicas, Nepeta, Agastache,
Coreopsis, etc.

Suja