Old 16-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Dave Painter

Default Minarette Apples

"Janice" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience with minarette apple trees? I don't have
space for trees but I believe you can grow these trees in pots on the

patio.
I've also seen some that have two or even three different types of fruit

on
the one tree -- are these any good?

Any advice or hints greatly appreciated.

Last question first...
Yes you can get 'several' varieties grafted on a single tree.

I have had a number of minarettes, kept them in half barrel sized pots
(huge!)
or pots sunk into ground. Also tried the wick method of ensuring that they
stayed watered.
Not recommended if you spend half your life in one house or at work and half
elsewhere.
Like bonsai these need constant attention, even if you do nothing, they need
to be looked at.

Many varieties need the pollination so I have always had two (or more) of a
variety to overcome this.
Six trees on a fifth floor balcony, magical!

These are great little trees but are not for everyone.

HTH

Dave