Old 17-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Chris Owens

Default Deer Problems

Heidi wrote:

Chris,

Out of curiosity, are your dogs primarily indoor or outdoor
dogs? I wonder if the deer do not come near you b/c the dogs
are in the yard, or b/c of the smells your dogs have left
behind when they go outside to relieve themselves, play, etc..

They're both . . . sighthounds need LOTS of exercise; they do hot
laps around the yard for about 10 minutes every hour, then spend
the rest of the time languishing on the furniture and trying to
convince Mommy to pet them . . . they're sprinters, not endurance
runners. OTOH, we have a dog yard . . . because I like the
interior of my house, and my plantings, just the way they are,
thank you. So, all this running about only occurs on one part --
about 1/4 acre -- of the property. But, we are talking about
dogs that were specifically bred to run down and kill game -- the
Borzois for things like deer and elk; the Whippets for small
game. So, maybe there's something about them that sets off
primal warnings in the deer . . . I know for certain that there's
something that sets off primal 'lunch' in the dogs when they SEE
deer.

Chris Owens