Old 17-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Kim

Default Deer Problems

In article ,
says...
I am looking for any ideas for my poor perennial garden. I would
love the name of any deer resistant plants or any ideas for
discouraging the deer from enjoying my garden other than a 6 foot
electric fence.

We have this problem too. Here are some websites that list deer-
resistant plants:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...l&rn=RightNavF
iles/rightNavHowTo

http://www.organicgardening.com/library/deer_free.html

Here are various ideas that I have heard of for keeping deer out of a
garden:

- put fishing line around the perimeter of the garden, they can't see it,
and when they bump into it, they will get "spooked" and run off. There
is a possible danger for tangling, and we tried it and the deer (or a
monster from our woods) broke right thru.

- Sprinkle dried blood and human hair around the garden. You can ask a
salon to sweep up some hair for you. Human pee was suggested to, but,
well... ick

- Zoo poop. Supposedly the scent of predators will repel deer and
supposedly you can buy lion tiger and bear poop at the zoo. I wonder
tho, how many deer are familiar with the scent of lions!

We are thinking about trying a motion sensor loudspeaker, that when
tripped, booms a gunshot sound or howling wolves!

Good luck!!!

-kim